Jaguars win regional championship after beating Blue Valley Southwest

The Jaguars defeated the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves 55-24 on Friday, Nov. 4 to win their regional championship

Katya Gillig, Mill Valley News editor-in-chief

In the second round of the playoffs on Friday, Nov. 4 the Jaguars beat the Blue Valley Southwest Timberwolves 55-24. With the win, the Jaguars won the regional championship and advance to the next round of the playoffs.

An early fumble recovery by sophomore defensive back Tanner Moore set up a touchdown by senior wide receiver Payton Marlow to give the Jags a 7-0 lead.

The Timberwolves quickly struck back with a touchdown to tie the game at 7-7 late in the first quarter.

Some costly penalties by the Jaguars set up a field goal for the Timberwolves to give them a 10-7 lead.

After a 24-yard run by sophomore running back Cameron Young, sophomore kicker Jack Matchette made a 37-yard field goal to tie the game at 10-10.

BVSW scored a touchdown late in the second quarter to take a 17-10 lead.

A 37-yard catch by senior Ben Hartman set up a field goal, but Matchette’s kick was blocked.

At the start of the second half, the Timberwolves scored a touchdown to go up 24-10.

The Jaguars quickly answered back with a touchdown from junior wide receiver Evan Rice. After a successful extra point by Matchette the Jags were down 24-17.

A pick six by Moore tied the game at 24-24.

Moore fought hard to get into the end zone during the play.

“I was just trying to do my best to get into the end zone at the end there. Luckily I got in,” Moore said.

Junior quarterback Brody Flaming ran it in for a touchdown to go up 31-24 late in the third quarter.

Flaming believes that the pick six set the momentum in their favor and they ran with it.

“We knew that we needed to make something happen and we found a spark,” Flaming said. “Defense did a nice job of getting a pick six and that just lit us up and we kept going.”

The Jags scored again late in the third quarter with a touchdown by Marlow to increase their lead to 38-24.

A fumble recovery by senior defensive back Joel Donn set up a touchdown by Hartman. This gave the Jags a 45-24 lead early in the fourth.

Moore believes the team found inspiration from the seniors.

“We realized that it’s most of these guys senior year and that we really needed to step up,” Moore said.

Matchette made a field goal to go up 48-24.

Senior linebacker Brady Garrison then intercepted the ball to give the Jaguars possession.

After a turnover on downs by the Jags the Timberwolves had the ball. Senior defensive back Jack Eber recovered a fumble by the Timberwolves. This set up a touchdown by Flaming to go up 55-24. This was the final score.

The Jaguars will play against the St. James Thunder at home in round three of the playoffs on Friday, Nov. 11. The Jaguars beat the Thunder week one 35-13.

Offensive coordinator Mike Strack feels good heading into next week.

“It’s going to be a hard physical game. They’re going to be excited our kids are going to be excited. We’re excited to play them. Glad to be back at home,” Strack said. “We’ll have to prepare really well next week. We feel good about what we can do against them. We just have to play well.”

(Visited 161 times, 1 visits today)