Jaguars take down undefeated Schlagle Stallions in second round of playoffs

This win advances the Jaguars to the quarterfinals

Taylir Charest, JAG reporter

The Jaguars beat the Schlagle Stallions 57-12 on Friday, Nov. 3 in their second playoff game.

To start the game, the Jags kicked off to Schlagle. On the run back, the Stallions fumbled and the Jaguars recovered the ball.

The following play, the Stallions were offsides, setting the Jaguars up for a touchdown. The Jaguars were on the board first, 7-0.

After the Jags’ defense held Schlagle, they were forced to punt the ball. The Jaguars fumbled and the ball was back in the Stallions possession.

The next play Schlagle had a 52-yard run, putting them at the 7-yard line. They ran the ball in for a touchdown, but the extra point attempt was blocked. The Jaguars were up 7-6 with 6:28 remaining in the first quarter.

Senior wide receiver Evan Rice ran the next kickoff back for a 90-yard touchdown.

“This is my first week returning kickoffs, and to get that on the very first time I ever returned one this year, it felt amazing,” Rice said. “I loved it.”

With 3:54 remaining in the first quarter, the ball got behind the Schlegel kicker when going to punt the ball. The Jaguars tackled the Stallions in the endzone for a safety.

Junior defensive back Tanner Moore thinks the team accomplished their goal for the game.

“Our whole goal was shutting down the running back and I think we did that really well,” Moore said.

When the Jaguars were back on offense, senior quarterback Brody Flaming completed a long pass down the field to junior wide receiver Matty Wittenauer. After the long pass, Flaming completed another, which was ran into the endzone for a touchdown by Rice.

The Jaguars were up 23-6 at the end of the first quarter.

To lead off the second quarter, senior running back Cameron Young ran the ball in for a touchdown.

Young felt the team was prepared going into this game.

“We had a really good game plan, designed by our coaches, going into this week,” Young said.

Junior running back Trevor Wieschhaus ran in a pass by Flaming for another touchdown, following a long pass completed by Rice. This put the Jaguars up 37-6.

Halfway through the second quarter, the Stallions fumbled on the kickoff and the Jags recovered the ball. This lead to an additional Jaguar touchdown.

With 30 seconds left in the second quarter the Jaguars fumbled and the ball was recovered by Schlagle.

At the end of the first half the Jaguars lead 44-6.

To open up the second half the Jaguars received the kick off.

Young scored the first touchdown of the half with 9:23 remaining in the third quarter.

Young believes the offense line was the key factor in this game.

“The offensive line, they blocked well,” Young said. “We moved the ball, found a way [and] we made good reads.”

Five minutes later, sophomore running back Isaac Ammann ran the ball in for the next touchdown, extending the Jaguars lead to 57-6.

In the fourth quarter the Stallions scored a touchdown with 7:55 left, bringing the score to 57-12 Jaguars. This would would turn out to be the final score of the game.

This win places the Jags in the quarterfinals, where they will play the St. James Thunder on Friday, Nov 10.

(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today)